The IBPA Benjamin Franklin Digital Award Submission Cycle is Currently Closed
Thank you for your interest in the IBPA Benjamin Franklin Digital Awards. IBPA is not taking digital award submissions at this time as we look to revise the program. Please stay tuned and email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
In the meantime, submissions for the IBPA Benjamin Franklin Awards™ print book program ARE being accepted. You’ll find more information at ibpabenjaminfranklinawards.com.
How do you know if you’re best in class?
The Benjamin Franklin Digital Awards judges evaluate assets by providing an answer to each of the questions below. To be considered for either a Gold or Silver Honoree award and be promoted through the IBPA marketing platform, the asset must rise above the normal user expectations and deserve to be considered best in class.
It is understood that design and technology can be ornamental or minimalistic. The use of technology for technology’s sake is as unhelpful as not using technology at all. To this end, Benjamin Franklin Digital Award winners use design and technology to package and complement an asset in a way that supports a positive user experience. If embedded video, for example, is not required to enhance the user experience, the asset will not be downgraded for not using it.
Content is still king. Attention to detail and the overall quality of the asset’s content is of paramount importance.
- TITLE: How well does the title (and subtitle) define the asset?
- CONTENT: How well does the asset’s content follow generally accepted principles of good writing for the genre?
- MECHANICS: How mechanically correct is the asset’s content with regard to grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.
Design can be ornamental or minimalistic. The point is for the design to complement the asset in a way that’s pleasing to view, encourages user engagement, and doesn’t hinder download speed.
- AESTHETIC: How well does the design complement the content?
- ENGAGEMENT: How well does the design encourage user engagement?
- IMPLEMENTATION: How well does the design implement consistent typography, graphics, tables, and/or animations?
- DOWNLOAD SPEED: How well does the design support quick downloads and a seamless user experience?
Innovation & Creativity
The Benjamin Franklin Digital Award honors those cultural creatives who push the envelope by creating something new and exciting. The score received for Innovation & Creativity are weighted the same as any other.
- CREATIVITY: How would you rate the creativity of this asset?
- INNOVATION: How well does the asset meet and/or exceed user expectations?
Use of Technology
Technology choices should embrace digital opportunities and ensure good functionality for the user. The use of technology should package and complement the asset in a way that supports a positive user experience. If a certain technology function is not required to do this, the asset will not be downgraded for not using it.
- ANIMATION: How well does the asset’s animation – static or interactive – support the content and user experience?
- INTERACTIVITY: How well does the asset’s interactivity support the content and user experience?
- AUDIO/VIDEO: How well does the asset’s audio/video support the content and user experience?
- OPEN STANDARDS: How well does the asset take advantage of open standards like EPUB 3 and HTML 5?
- SUPPORT FOR MULTIPLE DEVICES: How well does the asset support multiple devices?
- BUGS & CRASHES: How often did you experience bugs and/or crashes?